Sleeping in an uncomfortable mattress has a lot of negative impacts on your body. It can cause or worsen strained muscles, poor posture, and back pain. While there are many different mattresses to choose from, we created a guideline below on how to choose the right mattress to prevent back pain.
Know when it is the time to get a new mattress. Old mattresses often lose their spring and sags. At this point, it can no longer support your back and may result in worse back pain. Short-term fixes like putting hard boards underneath can only prevent the mattress from sagging, but it cannot support your back.
Here are some tips on how to choose the right mattress:
- Choose a mattress that contours along your spine. The right mattress should have the right firmness and softness to adjust along your back. This way, it can provide optimum comfort and prevent back pain.
- Prevent mattresses that are too firm. This type of mattress puts more pressure on your back area and may cause more pain after waking up. Aside from this, instead of the mattress adjusting to your body, it is your body that will adjust to the mattress. This will cause an unrestful sleep since your body will unconsciously try to find a good position.
- Prevent mattresses that are too soft. Your body will just sink into the mattress and will cause your body to adjust in a narrow position, your shoulders and pelvis will try to squeeze in. This will strain your body muscles and joints more.
- Find out about the mattress materials, does it have inner springs that can support your back, or whether you have the right thickness. There should be a balance on support and comfort especially since this will be the mattress where you will rest.
- Using a mattress foundation adds another layer of support. Whether it’s a wooden foundation or metal one, it would help protect the mattress and extend its lifespan.
- Price does not equate to quality. Not all expensive mattresses mean that it is the best for your back. It is better to shop for value and quality rather than the price of the mattress. Many mattresses available for sale can be tested before purchasing it. Try to sit or lay down on the mattress and know whether the mattress brings you comfort or not.
- Know the reason for
your back pain. Find the cause and seek the professional opinion of needed. By
identifying the cause of your back pain, it would be easier to find the right
mattress to address it. Here are some common causes of back pain:
- Muscle strain
- Poor posture
- Damaged disks
- Old age
- Lack of exercise
- Psychological condition
- Choose a mattress based on your body weight, shape, size, and overall proportions. You may also take into consideration the sleeping position that you are most comfortable with. Somebody types are more suited to specific mattress softness or firmness. Although there are expert suggestions, it is still important to consider your body and your spine alignment.
Why choosing the right mattress matters
After a long day of work or any activity, sleep is the best way to restore our body’s energy. Getting a sufficient amount of good sleep is important to relax the body and mind. The mattress where you’ll be sleeping in will determine your sleeping environment and the comfort of your sleep. It will help you regenerate and revitalize your mind and body. And you will wake up refreshed and energized the next morning. Aside from this, your mattress is not just for preventing back pains, it is also important for your physical, mental, and emotional health.